Bailey's Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The centurion from Luke chapter 7 didn't even know Jesus, he had only heard of him. Yet, he believed with all of his heart that Jesus could save the servant he loved, so he sent his men out to ask for Jesus' help. Then, as Jesus headed to his house, the centurion asked that he not even come in: "Lord don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you." He had faith that if Jesus would just say the word, his servant would be healed.
He had only heard of Jesus.
He never saw him raise the dead, or make blind eyes see, or feed hundreds with just a few fish.
He never even heard him teach.
But someone told him about Jesus...and his faith was so great he believed in Jesus' holiness and power and love.

I've heard of Jesus all my life. I know him on an intimate level. I've seen his transforming power both in my life and in the lives of many people I know. He has met me in the depths of my heart, has seen my deepest hurts, has witnessed my darkest sins, and has still never left my side.
But my faith is not nearly as strong as the centurion.
I doubt Christ all the freaking time.
He's never given me a reason not to trust him...but I don't.
He's never turned away from me...but I turn away from him all the time.
What the heck.

1 Comments:

At 2:04 PM , Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I'm 47 years old and I still doubt. I pray "Lord help my unbelief" more often than I care to count. It's so hard to get what I know, know KNOW in my head to my heart. I love your honesty. It refreshes me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home