Bailey's Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Club Strikes Back...

Well I'm here. The plane did not crash and I did not die and all is well.
It's really nice to see my grandparents but I feel extremely out of place every time I come. Not only is this place an "assisted living complex," meaning its all elderly people, but its extremely formal.
For example: I was not met at the airport by my grandma, she doesn't really like to drive far, but instead by my extremely well-off uncle, Mitch. You know, the one that lives in an actual Georgia mansion, with three cars, a personal pond/lake, and all the horses. Yeah.
When we got here we did not hug and hang-out like my mom's side of the family would. Instead we shook hands and sat in her sitting area to catch up. We did not lean back in the chairs and put our feet up, but we sat on the edge of the seats with our ankles crossed. Seriously.
This is a very napkin-in-the-lap sort of place.
At dinner we had more silverware than food options and I just felt really awkward.
I dont really "do" the whole polite, formal, manners-oriented thing well.
But I'm surviving. Last night I played scrabble with my grandma and two of her friends, and today we took a tour of Atlanta, including both the downtown area as well as the "beverly hills of Georgia." We saw areas that were inhabited only by the homeless, and not 20 minutes later we were touring through 30,000 sq. foot homes. Kind of ironic if you ask me.
But it was really interesting. It reminded me a lot of Houston in that it seemed like the government used more money on building stadiums and a new aquarium (expected to be the largest in the country,) than they did on shelters for the homeless.
Americans really have our priorities screwed up.
Nonetheless it's nice to be here. My dad, brother, and I are all out of town at the same time so I think everyone is enjoying their break away from eachother. My brother is doing hard labor with my grandpa on the other side for a week and a half - that should be interesting, my dad's in California until tonight, and I'm here. Awkwardly trying to fit in with the wealthy georgia culture. I'll let you know how that goes.

Funny story:
Our tour today included a stop for lunch at the Pleasant Peasant. There were many options, none of which sounded good to me so I stuck with my usual Club Sandwich. Now I was doing fine until I actually got my food. I was drinking tea out of a glass, I hadn't dropped it, my napkin was in my lap and my legs were crossed. Which is actually saying a lot for me. But then they delivered my sandwich and it all went down hill. First, and this will be funny for only Brent and Nathan, I started to eat, trying to be as lady-like as possible, and forgot to take those stupid little toothpicks out again. So as I took a bite the stupid thing stabbed me right in the nose and I definently started bleeding. I mean, it was barely noticable but there was definently blood and people definently saw. After that as I was standing up to use the restroom I knocked over my water glass, dropped my napkin, and hit the lady behind me with my chair. And all at the same time. I must admit, that takes skill.

4 Comments:

At 6:06 PM , Blogger Steven said...

how do you forget to take out those toothpicks?


honestly thats just embarassing

 
At 5:33 AM , Blogger Brent said...

You definitely need to spend less time at "napkin in the lap" places and more time at "napkin in your shirt collar" places.

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger Travis said...

wow! looooooooooooooooooooog time...

 
At 12:18 AM , Blogger spartacus21 said...

Glad you're back safe and sound. Did you get a scar? now that would make a good story...and then i found 5 euros!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home